Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

"If you want to make God laugh... tell him your plans"

When I graduated high school I had this outline in my head of how my life would go: I would go to school and social studies so that I could apply for the teaching program, and eventually be a high school teacher.  Somewhere in the midst of studies, I hoped to go on a Study Abroad, possibly the Jerusalem.  I would take a break from school at age 21 so that I could serve a 18 month mission for my church.   I'd get home, finish school, find some guy who was crazy enough to date me, and get married around the age of 25.  

May 2013
Well....I gave God a good laugh at least.  My major is now Spanish and I am applying for the Spanish Teaching program.  I served my mission in the Alabama Birmingham Mission and returned home in December of 2014.  I am currently in Merida, Mexico on a Study Abroad and I will be marrying Charlie DeMartino in less than two months.  

May 2015..Have we changed much?
So...I've completed several of my goals...it just didn't happen the way I planned.  Instead, it has worked out much better than I could have ever planned.  


At the time I started my blog, I had no idea any of that was going to happen.  I've spent a few weeks in Louisiana, and have many more to come there.  

In 2013 I was going to school at BYU in Provo, Utah.  Not too long after I left for my mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the Alabama Birmingham Mission on June 12th, 2013  Since then I've lived in:
  • Decatur, AL
  • Columbus, MS
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Athens, AL
  • Bessemer, AL
  • Wenatchee, WA
  • Provo, UT
  • Merida, Mexico
So it's been a hot minute since I've touched this blog.  I don't even know if anyone else does or will read this, but I've really enjoyed looking back on my blog posts from freshman year.  Even if no one else ever reads my blog it's worth it for me to write as a journal of sorts!  In my last posts I had just received my mission call with the assignment to teach in the Spanish language.

There is no way I will ever be able to put into words those 18 months.  They were some of the hardest times of my life, but the best times for my life.  I met so many people who truly inspire me and I came to instantly love.  I grew a lot, and I know a big reason that I was called to serve in that mission was because there was so many people there who I needed to learn form.  

The Wonderful Ware Family! They are such wonderful examples to me.  This was my last night in the mission.
December 2014

Spending time with wonderful sisters in B-ham
Spring 2014

This was taken at the Capps home, who are also an amazing family in the Athens, AL ward
July 2014

Montse is a beautiful girl, and I miss her tons!
May 2014

Mama Donna and two of the Norton girls at the temple
March 2014
Mama Brenda, one of the biggest reasons I was sent to Alabama.  One of the most beautiful people I know inside and outside.
January 2014

Baking cookies with the Elliot family.  I can't explain how much they mean to me.
I think one of the biggest lessons I learned on my mission was just how much God loves his children.  He truly is our Father in heaven, and he wants what is best for each of us.  As a missionary, you feel a part of that love for people.  I felt just stuffed full of the compassion I had for the people I met there, and if that is only a small part of the love God feels, then I can't even contemplate how much he loves us! It's so easy for us to forget that love, or to be hurt by something that has happened.  It was a blessing to me to go out and serve and help people take the same steps that I have taken to come closer to their savior, and feel the love that their Father in Heaven has for them.  I testify that God loves us so much he gave us his Son.  He has given us guidance through the Bible, the Book of Mormon and prophets--even today--so that we can go back home to him.  I am so grateful I was able to share that knowledge and love that has blessed me so much.


...

So then what? 

I got home from my mission and after spending only a few short weeks home, headed right back to BYU.  Towards the end of January, I got the nudge that I should do a Study Abroad this summer.  It was a goal of mine, but I had originally planned to wait until the following summer so that I could save up.  The nudge kept getting bigger...and now I'm sitting in Mexico typing all of this out on my computer in front of a fan because it's blistering hot and I'm sweating like a sinner in church!!!


Turns out it's a good thing I didn't wait, because I wouldn't have been able to go next summer.  Long story short, I went on a few dates with a guy, realized just how awesome he was, and that I should probably give things a shot.  He is one of the biggest blessings of my life, and I am so grateful to be marrying him on September 18th.  (I'll probably write a separate blog about our story later).  



If you aren't bored out of your mind reading this yet, you are awesome!!!  That was a lot of catch up! But one of the reasons that I wanted to starting blogging again is because I am in Mexico and there will be many more adventures to come as Charlie and I start our marriage that I'd love to keep documented in a way that we can share with family and friends.  

So the next post, now that I've briefly caught up on the last 2.5 years since I've written, will be about some adventures here in Mexico.

I do want to make a shout out to so many wonderful friends and family members who have been there for me through this time.  I had so much support and prayers as I gave a year and a half to serve and I couldn't have done it without y'all.  I've been very blessed!

Stay tuned y'all!





No comments:

Post a Comment