Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

My Call to Serve...

2/1 2013
5:53 PM
Before:
   I thought I would do something a little different.  Since I was planning on doing a post about my mission call to help share with my loved ones an friends why I am going, I thought it might be cool to write part before I open my call, and after.  Here it goes.
  I believe it was Junior Year of High school, we were sent some wonderful sister missionaries in our Wenatchee area.  Natalie told me that she had gone out with them a couple times, and what a great experience it was.  I decided I wanted to get in on it, and called them.  While I was out at discussions or doing church tours with them, I felt prompted that this was something I should do.
  Now fast forward to the begging of this year.  I started my BYU experience at a camp called Foundations of Leadership.  It was a great way to jump in.  At the camp I met lots of great people, and learned a lot about what I could and wanted to get out of my college experience.  More importantly though, I kept wondering what in the world I was supposed to be doing.  I know a general direction of what I want to major in, but not specifics.  What classes am I supposed to take?  What clubs should I be involved in?  Where should I work?  Should I study abroad?  How many credits?  The questions seem endless.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find a magic crystal ball that will tell me all the answers to life.  Fortunately however, I know I have a loving Heavenly Father who knows exactly what he has planned for me, so I prayed to him.  I prayed to know his will for me.  I felt comforted, but I didn't get the answer I was looking for.  So I kept praying, almost every night.  I felt like there was something I needed to be doing, I just couldn't pin point what it was.  The week before general conference, I fasted and prayed that I would find my answer, whatever it was, from those words that would be said.  I wanted to be open and ready for the answer.
Ha.  I couldn't have missed that answer if I tried!
The first thing they announced that conference was the change in the age of Missionaries.  Boys could now go at 18 instead of 19, and girls could go at 19 instead of 21....that was my answer!  I thought I would have to wait another three years!  I was shocked, and I think I scared my roommates because I started to cry right then.
Before making any final decisions, my parents strongly encouraged that I pray and really think about the big commitment of a mission.   I did exactly that, and I felt an assuring peace in my heart that it was the right thing for me to do.
Since then, I have been going to school and loving every bit of that of course, but also preparing for this big event in my life.
Tonight, in approximately 2 and a half hours, I get to find out where I will be serving and when.  I've had a lot of people ask me if I am excited or anxious.  Truth be told, I am.  For different reasons though.  The exciting part isn't that I could go to some exotic land, or Pocathello Idaho (I really don't like Idaho).  I already know the exciting part-that I will get to serve The Lord completely for 18 months of my life.   I love this gospel, and I know that it is true.  I know I am daughter of a Heavenly Father loves me, and the wonderful thing is that on my mission I can share the love that Heavenly Father has for those that I serve and teach.  It won't be easy, it will probably be one of the hardest things I ever do.  It will also be one of the most worth while things I do.  I know that I will grow and learn so much that will help me to become more of the person that I want to be, and that my Heavenly Father wants me to be.  So where ever I go,  I know that my call is inspired by God through his prophets on this earth, and I know that where ever I go, is where I am supposed to be.

After:
My Mom, Dad, Derek, Landon, my best friend Devyn skyped while Grandpa waited on the phone, my roommates, Natalie  and Aunt Diana, Uncle Dennis, an cousin Matthew were in the room as I read:



"Dear Sister McClune:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the Alabama Birmingham Mission.  It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 18 months.

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, June 12, 2013.  You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language..."



I'm going to have one funky accent.
I am so excited though to serve the people of Alabama.  I know that this is where I am needed, and where I need to be.

Love you all.  Thank you for all your love and support.  I am so blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog Aubryann!!! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be an amazing missionary!!! In Birmingham you are going to be exposed to the poor in a heart-wrenching way. We lived about an hour away in Georgia. Jasmine had a friend who was homeless and lived in a car with her family. We'd pick her up and bring her home to swim and eat. Homelessness seemed so much more prevalent in the area, I'm sure some of that is due to the warmer weather. So many of them outwardly appear to be so far beyond help, but these poor people are rich in Spirit and seeking. While there I had the good fortune of being called as Relief Society president and was able to see the inner-workings of many families both members and non-members. Shawn was able to share his testimony and baptize. His testimony is owed to the love of your family. So there is no doubt that you are going to be a fabulous missionary. Our joy and blessings were limitless while in the South because of the great people who drew us into activity and made us want to be a part of them.

    The atmosphere is so different than Idaho, Utah, and even Washington. They crave religion. It is openly talked about everywhere. People at the grocery store ask what church you attend. Instead of "see you later" they say "God be with you" or "God bless". Everyone freely invites one another to their church's activities.. Baptists, Lutherans. Shawn was on a Baptist softball team, no Sunday games. Some other churches are crazy huge...movie theaters, bowling alleys, playlands, etc; so you'll get to explain where our church spends our tithes. :-)

    It is going to seem like a foreign mission after living in the Pacific Northwest. I'm so excited for you to feel Southern hospitality firsthand! I miss it so much living in Idaho (glad you aren't going to Pocatello). Our Spanish branch was full of incredible people, and yours will be too.

    Tell your family hello. Just thinking about your mom last week when I decorated for Valentines and pulled out 2 different years visiting teaching gifts. She is a sweet lady for being so diligent in her calling and nonjudgmental of me while I struggled with inactivity. The seeds that your family planted made us want to grow up and be better people.

    Enjoy your mission, Sister!

    ReplyDelete